Monday, January 29, 2007

Smooth Operation

First of all, Ginger and Pepper would like to say thanks to everyone for their kind concern. They are both safe and on the way to recovery.

On Friday morning, I arrived at the Vet before 9:50am and waited in the car for the vet to open. I spent the 10 minutes talking to both of them, assuring that everything will be fine and I will be picking them up in the evening. Also told them that there will be a lot of treats waiting for them at home.

Pepper, rubbing her head against the carrier door.... and Ginger, with her not-so-happy look.

After work, I rushed to the vet and arrived 5 minutes just before they close at 7:25pm. The lady at the counter told me that Pepper was still not awake and that maybe I can pick her up the next day. I told her that Pepper HATES staying in a cage alone and I prefer to bring her home. After checking with the vet, she agreed and advised me that no water and food for both of them for the next 3 hours.

When I got home, I carefully carried both of them upstairs to the Spare room. Garlic and Sesame was delighted to see them again but I told them that both Pepper and Ginger needed rest and they can only visit tomorrow. They weren’t very happy with the arrangement but sulkily agreed.

This is Ginger's and Pepper's temporary litter box until they recover as the vet advised against litter sand. Vet actually advised that I use newspaper but i thought kitchen towel will be more hygienic.

Ginger seems to agree with my decision.

I checked on Pepper and Ginger frequently throughout the night. At approximately 11:00pm, I gave them some water and food but they were just too exhausted. Pepper slept most of the time but Ginger, who was fully awake, was extremely angry and gave me A LOT of scolding. I have not heard so much angry 'MEOW' in my whole life.

I AM NOT TALKING TO MOMMY! Except when I am scolding her for bringing me to the vet!

The next morning, I gave Ginger her favorite Whiskas pouch and Pepper favorite RC Sensitive Skin dry food. To my relief, they ate with a big appetite. Pepper was back to her usual self, staying close to me all the time and rubbing her body against my legs and arms (such a loving, forgiving gem!). Ginger was still angry, she sat at the corner of the room most of the time. I skipped gym to stay with them at home.

Pepper, enjoying the Saturday afternoon taking a nap on her favorite mat.

Ginger, also taking a nap, with her usually un-princesslike sleeping posture. You can actually still see the plaster on her wound, which was removed on Saturday night with my trembling hands.

Pepper is delighted when Sesame is allowed to visit, although it is only for a brief amount of time.

On Sunday, they were both feeling very much better and were much livelier. At night, I brought both Ginger and Pepper into my room. Pepper, who was not very used to my room, was very restless and could not sit still. Probably not used to the air-con, she started sneezing and I had to bring her back to the spare room. Ginger, who just loves the air-con, spent the night with me on my bed. She woke up a few times in the middle of the night, demanding for a cuddle, then went back to sleep (Yippie! No more scolding!).

So far, everything looks good and both of them are on the road to recovery.


Blondie said...

I am glad to hear the spaying was successful! You are a good momma to pamper them. The photo of the kitty in the litter box cracked me up. Whenever there is an entire box of fresh litter, Webster gets in there and plays. ??

Daisy said...

Hooray! I am so glad Ginger and Pepper are home and doing well.

Just Sharlene said...

blondie, Yeah, I know what you mean. I do not know what is it about cats and fresh litter. Sesame always try to jump in the litter box when I am changing the litter. He tries to catch the falling litter and I had to remove those litter from his fluffy fur everytime.

daisy, I am very relieved and glad that both Ginger and Pepper are on the road to recovery. Can't wait till they are fully recovered.

Gattina said...

The poor little darlings, but it's necessary ! I just discovered your blog on Dragonhaert's. Funny you have nearly the same blog as me. I have to go to the vet tonight because our Arthur is behaving strange and now we discovered that he has no more hairs on his belly, it's all pink !
Why don't you join "Cats on Tuesday" ? It's a new group where people blog once a week together about their cats. Infos are on my blog.

Dragonheart said...

Glad to hear the spaying was successful and that both Ginger and Pepper are doing well! That was very nice of you to stay home to keep them company.

DEBRA said...

Oh I am so glad that Ginger and Pepper are both home and doing well. We always worry about our babies when they go through something like this. I know it is a total relief to have this over!

Abby's Mom

Kitikata-san said...

Oh I am glad you girls are home! I am sorry that you had to go to the vet for "that". My humans say it is a good thing though. It hurts, I know, been there, done that, but I bet in about a week, you will be back to normal. Until then, demand the best filtered water money can buy! You earned it girls!

ps, thank you for visiting my blog while you are under the weather.

beekean said...

oh no no... ginger... please be more princess like... keke

Just Sharlene said...

gattina, visited your blog. How does this Cat on Tuesday work? Hope Arthur is OK.

dragonheart & debra, I am just so relieved the whole thing is over. Still pampering them with their favorite food and treats till they recover.

kitikata-san, filtered water? Why filtered water? Anyway, all the Spice Cats only drink filtered water :)

beekean, I think Ginger looses control whenever she is sleeping.